Alternating Lateral Lunges are exercises designed to increase dynamic strength, flexibility, and range of motion in the lower extremity. For best results, ensure that knees do not cross over toes and cave inward, as doing so may cause stress on the knee joint. Furthermore, focus on a dynamic push-off by extending fully through the ankles and toes.
- begin in a stand with feet shoulder width apart
- body should be upright with core engaged
- take a big step out to one side of your body (close enough where you are still able to maintain control of balance)
- lunge with the stepping leg to descend body, keeping in mind that the knee should never hover over the toes at any point
- extend legs to push body back up to center
- alternate legs each time