A Back Kip to Handstand on Rings is an advanced level upper body ring exercise that requires superior strength and stability in the handstand. This skill blends the elements of a backward roll on rings, as well as a handstand on the rings. This being said, it is important that these two elements are perfected before attempting this skill.
- begin in a hang or support
- if starting from support, maintain pressure on the rings while rolling backwards to get into an inverted pike position
- if starting from hang, bend body at the hips and turn body over to get into an inverted pike position
- from an inverted pike, open hip angle in a quick but controlled fashion and turn body over while keeping the rings as close to the body as possible
- as you turn over, think about driving the feet into the ceiling as you extend your body into a tight and straight position
- maintain rings as close to the body as possible and momentarily catch yourself in a shoulder stand
- slowly extend arms to press up to handstand