Burpees are multifunctional exercises that utilizes everything from the arms and chest, all the way down to the main muscles in the lower extremity. This exercise is designed to develop explosive strength, and is utilized by athletes of various disciplines. For best results, focus on engaging the core and avoid the midsection from sagging when performing the pushup.
- begin in a stand with core engaged and legs shoulder width apart
- bend knees and lower body into a squat position
- place hands firmly on either side of the body as you kick your legs backwards to get into a pushup/plank position
- bend elbows to lower chest to the ground for a full pushup
- as you extend your elbows to return to a plank position, simultaneously drive both knees back to the chest to return to a squat position
- from the squat position jump straight up in an explosive fashion