Butterfly Pushup is a variation of a standard pushup. It is an exercise that develops explosive strength throughout the upper body, focusing specifically on the arms and chest. Due to its dynamic nature, it is possible that the wrist may take a slight impact when bracing. For this reason, it is recommended that this exercise be performed only after the wrists are properly conditioned and strengthened. Scale by performing jumping pushups.
- begin in a standard pushup position
- ensure that shoulders are stacked over the elbows and hands
- engage core and bend elbows to lower body as you would for a standard pushup
- extend the arms (push through the fingertips) in an explosive fashion until upper body is lifted until it is at least 45 degree with the floor
- wind the arms one full revolution forward before bracing the floor
- immediately bend arm to retreat back to the bottom phase of the pushup position and repeat
- a tight body position should be maintained at all times