A Forward Roll is an important gymnastics-related skill that teaches the concept of forward rotation. Having a sound understanding of this movement will come in handy in various situations, especially when learning more technically-advanced rotating skills such as a front roll on rings or even a front flip. For best results, maintain a rounded back and keep chin tucked to the chest during the rotation phase.
- begin in a stand with legs together
- bend knees to move into a squat position
- plant both palms on the ground in front of you while maintaining the squat position
- initiate forward momentum by extending knees and pointing the feet
- firmly push down on the ground with both hands, while you press chin towards chest and round the back
- roll forward by maintaining rounded back
- roll up to a squatted position (hands may be used on either side of the body for balance when rolling up) and stand up to finish