A Handstand Pike Forward Roll is a variation of a handstand forward roll. This version however, requires substantial pike flexibility as well as abdominal strength. In order to facilitate the ‘roll up’ phase, compress and maintain the pike position as long as possible. Because of the impact, it is recommended that this exercise be performed over a soft surface.
- begin in a handstand
- body should be tight and be vertically stacked, forming a straight line from toes all the way down to hands
- allow toes to drift over head and maintain downward pressure with the arms
- continue to extend arms and slightly hollow upper back by touching chin to the chest
- roll through a hollow rock position and simultaneously plant hands on either side of the body
- compress body into a pike position and drive hips towards the ceiling while maintaining piked position
- as body begins to rise, unfold and straighten body to finish in a stand