A Hollow Back to Handstand on Parallel Bars is one of few skills used by gymnasts to transition from a support to a handstand on the parallel bars. It is an advanced-level parallel bars skill that requires superior upper body and core strength. For best result, always maintain a tight position throughout the core and do not allow the midsection to sag.
- begin in a support on the parallel bars and engage core
- slowly lean forward and simultaneously bend the arms
- continue to lean forward to create a rotational movement while maintaining a tight body until your legs are vertical and you have hit a shoulder stand position
- once you have hit the shoulder stand position, switch to a vertical movement by extending elbows
- maintain a hollow position and avoid arching the back during the ‘push up’ phase
- finish in a handstand