Hopping Pushup is a variation of a standard pushup, and is designed to develop explosive strength in the arms and chest. In order to perform this exercise with utmost efficiency, ensure that the core remains tight throughout the entire movement, especially during the hopping phase. Push through the fingertips to generate maximum power, thereby increasing the height of the hop. Scale by performing standard pushups.
- begin in a standard pushup position
- ensure that shoulders are stacked over the elbows and hands
- engage core and bend elbows to lower body as you would for a standard pushup
- extend the arms (push through the fingertips) in an explosive and allow your entire body (feet included) to pop off the ground and hop laterally (left or right)
- immediately bend arm to retreat back to the bottom phase of the pushup position and repeat the hopping movement to draw a square pattern
- a tight body position should be maintained at all times, especially during the hopping phase