Kipping Pull Up is an important movement that is widely utilized within the CrossFit world. The kipping technique refers to the movement generated by the chest and shoulders to gain the initial momentum. A solid understanding of this technique helps athletes perform multiple pull ups in a short amount of time. In order to perform this exercise with the utmost efficiency, flexibility in the chest and shoulders should be always emphasized. Scale by performing standard pull ups.
- begin in a hang on a bar and ensure that the body is tight
- hands should be slightly wider than the width of shoulders
- initiate the ‘kip movement’ by driving the armpits towards the ground and simultaneously opening the chest and driving the legs back to create a tight arch position
- quickly and dynamically drive your body into a hollow position through the chest and legs
- this movement should allow you to feel a moment of weightlessness
- simultaneously, bend elbows to elevate the body until chest hits the bar
- extend arms to return into the tight arch position and repeat