Walking lunges are effective exercises that activate the calves and glutes. For a bigger challenge, take a wider step/lunge, and extend through the toes as much as possible when straightening the legs. When performing this exercise, ensure that your core is kept tight and torso remains in an upright position.
- begin in a stand with core engaged and body upright
- arms may be by your side or hands clasped behind the head
- step with one leg as far as possible into a lunge position while keeping the rear leg straight
- maintain upright position with the body and ensure knees do not cave inward
- extend leading leg bring back back up, and simultaneously drive rear leg back to extend hips
- as your body reaches the pinnacle, stretch onto the tip of your toes
- lunge forward and repeat process