Shoulder Shrugs are exercises designed to strengthen the muscles required to hold a solid support position. By elevating and depressing the shoulders, major upper body muscles are activated, specifically the trapezius. For best results, ensure that your body is tight and vertical alignment is constantly maintained during the exercise.
- begin in a support position on parallel bars or two solid even level blocks
- ensure that body is completely tight and arms extended
- legs should be extended and back should remain straight to ensure vertical alignment
- relax trapezius muscles to lower body
- once body lowers to its lowest point, push down against the bars and engage trapezius to elevate the body to return to original position