Single Leg Bridge Ups are low impact core exercises that isolate and strengthen the glutes and hamstrings. The iso-lateral aspect of this exercise helps to activate the core even more as the body must work hard to maintain balance during the ‘bridge up’ phase. Avoid overly arching the lower back to avoid unwanted stress.
- lay on back with hands to either side of body
- bend one knee but maintain sole of feet on the ground
- without arching the back, engage core and glutes of the supporting leg to lift hips off the ground
- hold for a second at the pinnacle before lowering down
- at the pinnacle, a straight line should be created starting with the shoulders all the way down to toes
- switch sides