A Strict Muscle Up is a gymnastics-based exercise that is used to transition from a long hang position to a support on the rings. Strict muscle ups also play integral parts in many CrossFit workout plans. While the muscle up is often regarded as a strength element, it is equally a technical element. The ability to hold and maintain a false grip is of utmost importance when performing this exercise. Scale by performing pull ups on the rings.
- begin in a long hang position and ensure grip is in a false grip (this is a grip that will help you transition to a support position)
- gain a deeper grip on the rings by bending wrist towards your forearm as much as possible and allowing the rings to rest between the meaty part of your palm (closest to your pinky) and wrist
- engage core and bend elbows to elevate body
- when rings are at head height, round upper back and drive rings as close to the chest as possible
- engage lats to rotate chest over the rings as you keep the rings as close to the body as possible
- get the wrist on top of the rings and maintain downward pressure on the rings as you extend elbows
- finish in a support position with core engaged and rings parallel or turned out