Windshield Wipers are exercises that target the entire core system, beginning with the upper and lower abdominal muscles, and around the obliques. Similar to leg lifts, in order to maximize the benefits of this exercise, moderate to good flexibility in the pike position is required. Scale by performing leg lifts on floor.
- lay on the floor with legs together and arms to the side of your body (arms should be perpendicular to your torso)
- engage core and bend at the hips to slowly raise legs off the floor
- continue to keep small of the back pressed against the floor to avoid arching
- allow legs to lift up to where they are comfortable (they should ideally should be perpendicular to the floor) but avoid bending knees
- slowly descend both legs to one direction while maintaining perpendicular angle with the hips
- descend until feet are barely touching the floor
- when feet are few inches off the floor, engage core and obliques to pull legs back up to the top and slowly lower down to the other direction